Pinellas County Tax Collector’s Office joins Lauren’s Kids to help prevent childhood sexual abuse
95 percent of sexual abuse is preventable through education
CLEARWATER, FL, APRIL 7, 2014 – Employees at the Pinellas County Tax Collector’s Office are teaming up with Lauren’s Kids this month to raise awareness and help prevent childhood sexual abuse. Lauren’s Kids educates adults and children about sexual abuse topics through in-school curriculum, a 24-hour Crisis Hotline and speaking engagements around the country. Their mission is to prevent sexual abuse through awareness and education, and to help survivors heal with guidance and support.
Did you know?
- There are more than 42 million survivors of sexual abuse in America
- 1 in 3 girls are sexually abused before the age of 18
- 1 in 5 boys are sexually abused before the age of 18
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the Internet before the age of 18
- 30% of sexual abuse is never reported
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children age 17 and under
- 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way
- Approximately 20% of the victims of sexual abuse are under age eight
- 38% of the sexual abusers of boys are female
- 95 percent of sexual abuse is preventable, meaning the most effective prevention happens before a child is harmed
Children are safer when parents and caregivers take the time to teach preventative tactics to their children and become educated about the warning signs of abuse. Parents and caregivers who make a commitment to speak up as soon as they have a concern play a crucial role in a child’s safety.
“I am pleased that my offices can help raise awareness and help prevent childhood sexual abuse,” said Pinellas County Tax Collector Diane Nelson. “It is of the utmost importance to protect our children and Lauren’s Kids is giving a voice to an issue that can be difficult to discuss.”
For more information on Lauren’s Kids visit http://laurenskids.org/. Show your support by getting your Lauren’s Kids specialty license plate today! Lauren’s Kids plates are available at all Pinellas County Tax Collector offices. For locations and hours visit, http://www.taxcollect.com/about/locations/.
If you, your child or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, remember to tell them that it’s ok to tell. Sexual abuse is a crime and it’s important to seek professional help. Call your local law enforcement authorities immediately.
About the Pinellas County Tax Collector’s Office: The Pinellas County Tax Collector’s Office is a constitutionally elected office responsible for collecting and distributing state and local taxes. The Tax Collector is also the provider of driver license and motor vehicle registration services to Pinellas County residents. The office received the 2013 Governor’s Sterling Award for performance excellence. For more information visit www.taxcollect.com.
# # #