LEARNER’S PERMIT KNOWLEDGE EXAM UNAVAILABLE AT NORTH COUNTY OFFICE SEPT. 25 – OCT. 31. CLICK FOR DETAILS.
The following requirements must be met to obtain a learner’s permit:
- Present two forms of identification.
- Have proof of Social Security number for U.S.Citizens and permanent residents.
- Have two proofs of residential address showing your full name. If you have no proof of residential address in your own name, you will need a statement from a parent, stepparent, guardian, or other person residing at the same address – along with two proofs of their residential address. If you only have one proof of residential address in your own name, you need a statement – from a parent, stepparent, guardian, or other person residing at the same address – along with one proof of their residential address.
- Be at least 15 years old.
- Pass a vision test.
- Pass a knowledge exam either through driver’s education, online, or at any Pinellas County Tax Collector locations except the South County office on 66th Street in St. Petersburg and the Courthouse location in downtown Clearwater. In-office knowledge exams have a 60-minute time limit and are limited to two attempts per day. At Tax Collector offices, the first attempted knowledge exam costs $6.25. Subsequent tests are $10.00 plus a $6.25 service fee per attempt. Many of the test questions are situational, meaning you must apply your driving knowledge to the questions. We strongly suggest studying the Florida driver handbooks, which are available online and in iBooks.
- Have one parent or legal guardian present or have their signature on the Parental Consent Form if under age 18.
- Have the signature of one parent or legal guardian on the Parent Proctoring Form if the knowledge exam was taken online.
- Complete DHSMV-approved Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course.
- Be in compliance with school attendance.