Military Service Members

The Pinellas County Tax Collector’s office wants to make life as easy as possible for all of the men and women that serve or have served in the armed forces. Below you will find answers to commonly asked questions from military families. If you do not find answers to your questions here, please contact us. Thank you for all you do to protect our great nation and advance liberty around the world!

For more information, including REAL ID requirements, click here.

Are there any special discounts for veterans who visit the Tax Collector’s Office for driver license services?

Effective July 1, 2018, veterans are no longer charged the $6.25 tax collector fee for driver license transactions at any Florida Tax Collector’s Office. Also effective July 1, 2018, there is no fee for adding the “Veteran” designation to a driver license or identification card. Veterans must provide proof of honorable military service, such as their DD-214, Veteran Identification Card, or Veteran Health Identification Card.

I am a resident of another state but am stationed in Florida. Do I have to title and register my vehicle here?

While you have the option to purchase a Florida license plate when stationed here, the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Relief Act of 1940 authorizes non-resident service members to display a current license plate from their home state. If you choose to register your vehicle in Florida, please visit our motor vehicles page for more information.

I am a Florida resident with a Florida vehicle registration and plate, but I’m stationed out of state. What renewal options do I have?

You have several options. You can renew online, by mail, or have a family member or trusted friend renew for you in one of our many branch locations.

Are there military specialty license plates available in Florida?

Absolutely, Florida offers a variety of military specialty plates. Restrictions and/or criteria requirements apply to some plates. For more information, click here.

I bought a vehicle while stationed in another country. Will I owe additional taxes when I title it in Florida?

Yes, sales tax will be collected on the fair market value of the motor vehicle. To title a motor vehicle that was purchased while stationed out of the country you must bring the following into one of our offices:

1. Military title and registration or out-of-country title and registration that reflects the complete motor vehicle information (year, make, vehicle identification number, expiration date) and ownership information. If the vehicle was purchased while out of the country, Florida sales tax will be due on the declared value of the vehicle at the time of applying for title.
If the vehicle has never been titled or registered and there is a loan on the vehicle, the lienholder may have the original Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. In order for our office to title the vehicle, we must have the original Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. Florida sales tax will be paid on the purchase price less any trade-in amount at 6% plus a 1% discretionary tax up to $50.00. A bill of sale must be furnished showing the price paid to the dealership.
2. Each person whose name appears on the ownership documents, or their appointed power of attorney, must be present to sign a new application for title. They must bring a valid driver’s license from any U.S. state or Canadian province. If a power of attorney has been appointed and the owner has an out of state driver’s license, a copy of the owner’s driver’s license is required at the time of transfer. If you are the appointed power of attorney, the original, or a certified copy of the original signed appointment must be presented at the time of application.
3. If purchasing a license plate for a motor vehicle, proof of Florida property damage and personal injury protection insurance must be submitted. Company name, insurance identification code, and policy number are required.
4. A copy of your military orders may be necessary when purchasing a license plate.
5. If the vehicle has never been titled in the U.S. the vehicle identification number verification and odometer reading must be verified by a Tax Collector employee (custom papers and the motor vehicle must be taken into one of our branch locations for a vehicle identification number inspection prior to applying for a title). EXCEPTION: Any Florida resident on active military duty out of state (applying for Florida title on a used vehicle with proof of ownership from a foreign country), may have their vehicle identification number verified by any out of state law enforcement officer or military law enforcement authority.
How do I renew my Florida Driver License while I’m deployed?
If your license is scheduled to expire while you are deployed or stationed outside of Florida, you are encouraged to renew before you deploy or move. Florida drivers may renew a license up to 18 months prior to the expiration date printed on the license. You may also renew online at any time.
If you are not eligible to renew your Class E Florida Driver’s License online, you may be able to receive a military extension card that extends the expiration date of your license until 90 days after you permanently return to Florida or are discharged from the military.
If you have a Commercial Driver License, your license must be renewed, they cannot be extended.
If you are interested in renewing your Class E or Commercial Driver’s License by mail, click here and select “Military Personnel – Need Florida License” from the menu to request a renewal packet.
How do I apply for a veteran’s designation on my driver license?

Veterans who live in Florida can add a veteran designation to their driver license or ID card, which is the word “Veteran” in blue  on the bottom right portion of the card. Having this designation allows veterans to receive discounts at certain merchants and retailers that offer veteran discounts. To add “Veteran” to your license or ID card, please visit one of our branch locations and plan to:

  • Present your DD-214, which shows your honorable discharge from active duty.
  • Pay a replacement or renewal fee.
  • Click here to ensure you have all required documents.

Veterans who need to obtain a copy of their DD-214 may request it through the National Archives Military Records online portal.

Military Motor Vehicle and Driver License Forms

Military Members or Spouse Insurance Exemption Affidavit

Sales Tax Exemption for Military Personnel

71054 Certification for Waiver of CDL Skill Test for Military Personnel

82002 Initial Registration Fee Exemption Affidavit

82040 Application for Certificate of Title

82042 Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification

82053 Power of Attorney for a Motor Vehicle

83030 US Reserve or National Guard

83034 Application for Ex-Prisoner of War, U. S. Reserve, Ex-POW, Pearl Harbor or Purple Heart License Plate